Sunday, March 3, 2013

IT TAKES A VILLAGE

OUTSOURCING IN THE CITY.


When I was born my parents did it. Maybe yours did it too.
Italians, for centuries, outsourced children rearing to their own parents.
In my case the outsourcing happened in the very same building where we were living (not in places like Bangalore).

With my kid's grandparents living in Oregon, Mendocino County or in the Eurozone, it would be much more convenient for me to send them to Bangalore.

For my own kids I had to think globally and act locally. I used neighbors, teachers that happened to be in the right place at the right time in my life, and friends with kids of their own.

Facts that prove outsourcing works (or that has worked for me):

Your kids have a place for their toothbrush, in the main bathroom, at their friend's house.

One of your kids is  featured in your neighbors' "Family Christmas portrait".

You manage to dispatch four of them, to four different families, on a Saturday night.

You end up with eight kids, instead of just your four, the following Saturday.

You hear one of your girls telling you: " You know, my third grade teacher has been like a mother to me; I know you are my real mom, and I love you best........sort of...........".

 As I was saying: IT TAKES A VILLAGE.

Bernal Village

No comments:

Post a Comment